Nov 6, 2012

Obsession (and Trend spotting): Religious Prints


Ah yeah. This one's a difficult topic. I discussed it with my mum about two hours. Like, how can people wear religious stuff when they aren't believing in God or whoever? And I was like, how can people wear clothes if they aren't into fashion?
I love Statement tees, but only because I am wearing a tee with Buddha or whoever printed on, do I really have to believe in him? The thing is, this kind of print is not meant as a Statement (it can be, of course.). People are wearing it because it looks good, and they do not wanna tell anything with this top (besides being supercool.) . I hope you get what I mean.

Anyways, those prints are amazing. They can be kitsch and sassy at the same time!
The most common trend is cross print now - but there are many more ways of religious prints! Cross print is super cool, by the way. I also love Buddha or Shiva prints! Or *totally* kitschy Mother Mary prints.




Tee - Amazon
Dress - Motel
Creepers - Topshop


Everything from Topshop (Dress, Skirt, Jacket, Tee)
Shoes - Doc Martens

This one is full of cross prints. Wear the glitter top over the ruffled dress with the Biker Jacket to create a "breaking" look.



Maxi Skirt - Topshop
Skater skirt - Topshop
Over knee socks - Topshop
Mother Mary Sweater - Asos
Wedges - Asos

What do you think about religious prints? Do you own some pieces with those prints?

Love, Mary

7 comments:

  1. I love religious prints (especially prayer candles)! I really want to get a virgin mary bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, this is my first introduction to this trend. i kind of like it. i actually just saw today on the free people blog the inspiration behind their limited edition skateboards and these prints remind me a little of this. i think i like it! ... are those doc martens? some really great pieces here!

    lovely blog you have here, mary! hope you are doing well :)

    xox, amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have anything against other people wearing them but I would never be able to. Maybe because religion is veeeery important to me? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing something you haven't devoted your whole life to. Like, what if my least favourite colour ever was blue and then I wore a blue top because it had a pony on it. then would I be betraying my beliefs that blue is the grossest colour ever!!! as long as you aren't making fun of someone's religion.
    i happen to have an awesome shiva skirt, which i made into shorts!!!!
    carla
    ps: that playlist you gave me has some of the awesomest songs ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i love alll those reggae songs, those guys are so chilled out and awesome.
    yeah'
    you rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah so this is awesome!
    I have this shiva necklace I made, (http://under-a-bridge.blogspot.com/2012/10/outfit-awesome-pantsuit.html) that I'll be posting a tutorial for soon!

    My family is Buddhist, so I asked my dad whether he thought that a hindu necklace was offensive and he said he didn't think so unless I portrayed it offensively. I also think that maybe when it's mass marketed on super provocative models or whatever some people might find it offensive... but I don't really know.

    love,
    gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love religious prints and yep, feel slightly guilty about it. Like I have a crucifix and tons of iconography and stuff in my room. In a way it's like people wearing the t-shirt of a band they don't even listen to. But then again I don't think it's offensive as long as people are sensitive about it. Anyway, I really want every item here <3 The collage at the top is beautiful too <3
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the virgin mary in fashion A LOT. to me fashion is more about just looking a certain way, or wearing something for a purpose of comfort, it's like a whole art performance - every garment i'm wearing says something about me culturally and socially. i went to a russian orthodox school for about 9 years and i always felt very repressed by the rules, and i'm happy to be liberated from it, but i also miss my young schoolgirl ways that did believe that the virgin mary is the holiest woman out there, and i think of it as a patriarchal myth that poisons girlhood, and i enjoy the sinister side of that myth. i think religions are mostly very flawed and i'm interested in exploring those flaws and searching for hypocrisy in seemingly "holy" things.

    as for offending someone who IS religious - I don't really care. Christianity is an opressive religion and my little virgin mary on my sweater isn't reinforcing negative stereotypes or making the image unholy in any way. I think that the people who get offended at these kinds of fashion trends are usually opressors themselves, and I don't really care for protecting their feelings.

    However, I try to stay away from bindis and the such because they reinforce RACIAL stereotypes, and that kind of thing freaks me out. I don't want to be a part of it.

    Also - you have a fine, fine blog.
    http://sanctifiedyouth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete